HOAS' Job Readiness Training Program provides job training, internships, and post high school exploration to recently arrived, East African, high school students.
Utilizing a family-based approach to job readiness training, our program integrates parent education and support services.
We coordinate with school-based services to help ELL youth overcome multiple barriers to school success, assist them in obtaining livable wage jobs, and becoming self-sufficient adults. The program’s focus is on providing youth training along with parent education and support services critical to helping ELL youth stay engaged in school, gain skills and knowledge to be job ready, to navigate career pathways and post secondary education options, and to achieve financial self-sufficiency.
The JRT Program Includes:
- Career and Post-Secondary Exploration
- A 60-hour Internship and Work Experience
- A Group Project
- Case Management for Families
- Multi-cultural and Multilingual Parent Education Classes
- 16 hours of Joint Family Self Sufficiency Training
Our JRT Program partners with the YMCA at the 2100 Building to provide additional and specialized classes for youth. Past projects have included:
Intergenerational Connectors which bridged the gap between youth and the older generations in the community through media
Versatility allowed youth the chance to learn how to use technology and media to tell their own stories through a lens
Each year, a group of 20 youth are selected to participate in the jrt program
Participant Eligibility Requirements:
- Youth ages 15-20 years old
- Must be enrolled in a Seattle Public School
- Enrolled in an ELL program at their school
- Recently arrived the U.S. in the last two years
- ELL youth from low income families
- Immigrant/Refugee youth from families speaking Amharic, Oromiffa, Somali, and Tigrinya
Youth enrolled in the program and complete a 60 hour internship or job shadow will receive a small stipend.
If you are interested in learning more, call our office at (206)760-0550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.